Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ode to Juan Sanchez Cotan

So here's my other class project. We're supposed to select a master's work and do a drawing based on their work. So I selected Juan Sanchez Cotan because I used to stand in front of this painting at the Chicago Museum of Art all the time. Something about it constantly drew me to it. The painting is in oil pastel - WAY out of my box! It is varnished, so there's a shine that is reflecting into the camera so the image didn't come out very well. It is titled "Cotan's Chicken Soup" - with a rubber chicken, of course!

Here's the original masterpiece titled "Still Life With Game Fowl" by Juan Cotan

8 comments:

Diane Morgan said...

Great take on the Master. That's another idea we can add to the list of themes.... Master works

V. Bridges-Hoyt said...

I love the way your minds works, Debbie.

Great idea, Diane. We'll add it to the list.

Mary Jansen said...

This is great Debbie!!! I think Mollie should do one too...but she should paint a burger and fries hanging from a string!
I like Diane's idea of painting from the master. We could all do our modern/personal take off a classic. I've always wanted to paint "The Girl with the Pearl Tongue Stud"!

mollie jones said...

Mary, you're so funny. I sorta like that old masters idea too. Let's see, what could I "butcher"?

Diane Morgan said...

Hey! a picture of Mollie! Lookin good :-} Mary, talk about minds working. Yours is always off in funny land. HA! Look what you started Debbie. One artist, Maggie Stiefwater did Cats of the Masters. She took every classic, like the girl with the pearl earring and used a cats head instead. They are adorable.
http://www.cafepress.com/m_stiefvater/3739872

Debbie Cannatella said...

Ha ha ha ha ha... girl with the pearl tongue stud.. geeze, Mary, you kill me! If we do a master's work, we should post an image of the original piece along with our take on it. In fact, the Chicago Museum of Art has a wonderful on-line gallery with loads of information on all the works. We could peruse the works there to rattle our brains for ideas.

mollie jones said...

Oh my goodness...I was just fooling with my personal blog with that picture????? Oh ghezzz, I wouldn't have had a clue how to add one here so it's maybe just as well!!!

Tracy Hall: said...

Mary, that's hilarious :))))